One of the countless gifts of Mother Earth.
Without her, we are not here.
We can live in gratitude
for all she has given us.
I hope you are all well and enjoying all of the gifts of Mother Earth.
This is just a reminder that there will be a gathering at the UU Church at the Lily Pads complex on North Rd. in Peace Dale at 6 PM. There will be a sitting meditation, we will continue to look together at Thay's book "Creating True Peace". We have a recitation of the Five Mindfulness Trainings and enjoy sharing the Dharma. I hope you will be able to be with us.
Please continue to hold Eva and her family in your prayers and meditations. Also please continue to hold Ann G and her friend Joanne who passed last Sunday and Joanne's family in your prayers and in your hearts.
Engaged Practice Opportunity
Our country is considering pulling out of the Paris Agreement joining Nicaragua (who did not sign because they felt it was too weak!) and Syria as the only three countries in the world who will not comply. I have written a love letter to our President and my representatives this morning..if you would like to join me, you can go to https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
Our Aldersgate retreat was focused on engaged practice. I have included below the resources that were offered by the folks who attended that retreat.
Our teacher has made it clear that it is our obligation as a spiritual community to develop our awareness of the interconnected nature of everything....He played a role in the Paris accords, which few are aware of... Here is an article that explains his influence. This Buddhist Monk Is An Unsung Hero In The World’s Climate Fight
For a beautiful article about Thay and our relationship with our planet you can go to
I do hope you will be able to be with the Sangha on Sunday and, of course, until then I hope you are enjoying every moment.
with much love and gratitude for you, Joanne
Here are the ideas for mindful action that were shared on the pad of paper at the back of the meditation hall - at our retreat:
- Five Calls (free phone Ap)
- connect with local Council of Churches for taking a stand together...
- connect with local state Equal Justice Groups
- Earth Holders Sangha (part of our Plum Village tradition)
- monthly online meetings
- created the postcard that was shared at our retreat - attached to this email - so that you can print on cardstock &/or share more widely
- note: needs 49 cent stamp and your full return address
- Local support groups for immigrants, e.g., Resist Hate RI, New Mainers Alliance, Capital Area New Mainers Project
- resistbot - will change texts to faxed letters to congress people Send a text message to 504-09 and put RESIST as the message. Resistbot generates a FAX (yes, a FAX, in letter format) to your senators and representative. (A fax is apparently more effective than a phone call.) You'll get a few prompts back. You can send whatever message you like. For me, right now, it's all about ensuring there is an independent investigation into the Russian hacking of our election and potential Trump campaign involvement.
- Sign up for daily text of action to take:
- 668-366 (move.on)
- 228-466 (Daily Action)
- "Support work of Common Cause to abolish the electoral college. Ten states (including- I think - all of New England) have entered the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC). Get your friends in states which whaven't to write to the state legislators about this." (Ros Winsor)
May you and all beings be warm and happy, fearless and at peace,