-from Love Letter to the Earth
I hope this finds all of you being well, happy and collectively awakening on this beautiful morning.
This is a reminder that we will be gathering at 6 PM , Wednesday evening at Westminster Unitarian Church in East Greenwich. We will enjoy sitting and walking meditation, I will offer a talk and we will share the Dharma. I hope that you will be able to join us. It will be wonderful to be able to be with all of you again.
There have been several emails circulating about Thich Nhat Hanh being ill. Some are not up to date or accurate. It is true that he has not been well. He had some kind of intestinal infection, but the latest reports say he has completed his retreats for 2014 and is back in Plum village resting and doing better. Please keep him in your prayers and send him healing energy. If you would like to send a love note, his address is....
The Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh
Saturday, Sept. 27! It’s the annual RI Community of Mindfulness picnic!
The Mind Tamers are once again organizing a picnic for the entire Community of Mindfulness. Thank you Mind Tamers! It will take place on Saturday, September 27th, 11-3 at shelter #3 in the beautiful Colt State Park. Please come and bring your friends and family. We will share a vegetarian potluck picnic and ask everyone to contribute games, stories, songs, poems, etc. It is always a lot of fun. I hope you all will be able to be with us.
GENERATIONS SANGHA...which usually meets on the second Saturday of the month will be gathering on the fourth Saturday at Colt State Park for the Sangha Picnic instead!!! (see above for details)
This September, the Peace Flag Project and American Friends Service Committee invite you participate in a little peace walk across little Rhody as part of Peace Month. We will begin on THursday September 11 at 9:00 am in Westerly RI with a moment of silence to reflect on the day and to prepare ourselves for the walk. There is more info below and at
There will also be a celebration and walk on the International Day of Peace, Sept 20. Information is below.
PEOPLE’S MARCH FOR CLIMATE CHANGE SEPT 21, NYC
This is being held while world leaders will be meeting at the UN to discuss climate change. It is being billed as the largest march yet to bring awareness to our responsibility for taking care of our planet. I am hopeful that this might be an indication that the “goddess of enough is enough” has arrived! For more info go to
A member of our Order, Meena Srinivasan, has recently published a book called "Teach, Breathe, Learn: Mindfulness in and out of the classroom." Those of you who are interested in bringing mindfulness to schools and children might be interested in this book.,..go to teachbreathelearn.com
I know this is a lot of information. I hope that you will not be overwhelmed, but instead be inspired to join us to practice together.
with much love and a joyful chorus of birds welcoming the morning for you,
PEACE WALK ACROSS RI - FROM KARINA
Little Rhody Peace March. The Great Salt March, the Flame Walk from Los Alamos to Hiroshima, the Dhammayietra through Cambodia, and Peace Pilgrim's walk criss-crossing America are only a few of the pilgrimages for peace and justice that have inspired millions.
This September, the Peace Flag Project and American Friends Service Committee invite you participate in a little peace walk across little Rhody as part of Peace Month. We will begin on Thursday September 11 at 9:00 am in Westerly RI with a moment of silence to reflect on the day and to prepare ourselves for the walk.
Here is the schedule for the walk:
Thursday Sept. 11 we walk from Westerly to Charlestown.
Friday, Sept. 12 from Charlestown to Kingstown.
Saturday, Sept. 13 from Kingstown to North Kingstown.
Sunday, Sept. 14 from North Kingstown to Warwick.
Saturday, Sept. 20 from Warwick to Providence, where we join the mediation walk from Memorial Park (South Main st.) to the Wall of Hope (near Water Place Park).
The walkers will be accompanied by a support vehicle that will carry backpacks, bed rolls, water and food. Each day we will walk about 10-12 miles. There will be plenty of rest stops along the way and folks can always climb in the support vehicle for a bit if needed. Each night we will gather for a dinner or potluck in a host church and have time in the evening for a program or for sharing with the local community about our walk. The host church will also offer sleeping space for those who want it.
PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WILL WALK WITH US. (Just reply to this email) You are welcome to join us for an hour or for the whole walk.
MONTH OF PEACE EVENTS!!!! from Ginny Fox
Dear friends of peace,
I hope you are all doing well. Summer seems to be quietly drawing to a close, and our Peace Month is almost here. We’re really excited about our planned events, but we need some help to (1) distribute our Month of Peace postcards all around RI and (2) find more volunteers to help out at our events. .
We have great plans for the Month of Peace — with some new events along with our traditional ones. Some highlights:
– There will be PFP workshops in the Providence Community Libraries for the fourth year in a row.
– Our Peace Art Exhibit has lots of beautiful and engaging work — by local professional artists as well as several posters by middle schoolers for the Lions Club International Peace Poster Contest. We’re will be part of Gallery Night during September. This is a first for us.
– There is a Walk Across RI for Peace and Justice, beginning on Thursday 9/11. We’ve been wanting to do something like this for a long time. This year the wonderful Martha Yager and Karina Lutz have organized it! You might like to walk all of it or just a few miles.
– There will be peace flag making at four festivals this year – RiverFest (Woonsocket), Slater Mill Fall Festival, Day of Honor at RWP Zoo and the Heritage Festival. We really need more volunteers for these four events.
– Sat 9/13 RiverFest, Woonsocket 12 noon to 4:00 pm
– Sun 9/14 Day of Honor, RW Park Zoo, Providence 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
– Sun 9/14 Slater Park Fall Festival, Pawtucket 11:00 am to 5:00 pm
– Sat 9/20 Heritage Festival, Providence 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm
–Our Peace Walk will be part of a whole Day of Peace events in Providence. The Heritage Festival goes from 12 noon to 5:00. Our Peace Walk is downtown from 4:00 to 6:00. FirstWorks/Art, Culture & Tourism is hosting a wonderful concert at the Skating Rink. FirstWorks/Art, Culture & Tourism is also going to promote our Peace Walk along with their concert and the Heritage festival. This is a great help for us.
– You can also check out PARK(ing) Day, Voices of Peace concert, Aurea’s Not About Heroesand more. There is a wide variety of programming. Hope you find a few you’d like to be part of.
– For those of you in South County, URI Kingston will be hosting an event on Sept 18. Please contact www.uri.edu/nonviolence to get more information. It would be great to have people from the outside community observing Peace Day with the students and faculty. There will also be an event at the Unitarian Congregation of So. County in Peace Dale on Sun 9/21.
This is the most important time of the year for us. I hope you will be able to enjoy these events — and help us distribute our postcards and to volunteer (or help us find some volunteers). Please help if you possibly can. Please think about ways you might distribute them to friends, neighbors, organizations, stores, churches, synagogues and more. Can you give them to friends or organizations to distribute them as well? Can you let me know how I might drop some off for you? I’d really appreciate it.
September is a time for those of us in our little state to focus on peace and celebrate peace, and to help to bring each of our circles and communities to those celebrations. We are the only state to have a state-wide, extended observation of the UN International Day of Peace. Lots of people have worked hard to make this all happen, and you can help us make it even better. We appreciate whatever you can do.
Peace and love, Ginny
Peace is not something you wish for;
it’s something you make,
something you do, something you are,
and something you give away.